10 Resolutions That Show Your Kids You Care
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox.
A New Year’s Resolution for Every Parent: Talk With Your Kids about Drugs and Alcohol
Resolving to talk more often with your child about healthy decisions & choices is a great idea for the New Year.
TimeToTalk.org celebrates the positive influence of parents and can help you start the New Year with "10 Resolutions That Show Your Kids You Care."
10 Resolutions That Show Your Kids You Care:
1. Teach your children to trust you by seeing you as a role model.
2. Be patient, not just tolerant. Apologize when you make a mistake or do something you regret.
3. Ask teens what they need from you – and do whatever you can to meet those needs.
4. Listen to your teens, a lot. Avoid interrupting.
5. Teach your children about ethics, values and principles they can apply in choices and decision making.
6. Help them discover the feeling of gratitude, not just to say thank you.
7. Keep the promises you make. If you do not keep your word, acknowledge that. Help your teen understand the circumstances or choices that precipitated the change in your plans.
8. Answer your teen’s questions and be consistent. When you notice behavioral changes in them, make yourself available and encourage them to talk about what is going on in their life.
9. Be understanding when they have a difficult time and let them know you will love them no matter what.
10. Be diligent. Have ongoing conversations with your kids about the risks of drugs and alcohol.
Follow the Partnership on:
Keep up-to-date by becoming a friend of the Partnership on Facebook!
Find us @drugnews on Twitter for the latest news about drugs and alcohol.
Best Wishes for safe, happy and healthy New Year from your friends at
The Partnership for a Drug-Free America.
More About The Partnership:
Drugfree.org | Who We Are | Testimonials
How to Get Involved | Donate
Copyright © 2009 Partnership for a Drug-Free America
405 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10174
To prevent mailbox filters from deleting mailings from
Time To Talk, from The Partnership, add email@example.com to your address book.
Talk Alert Tools: